Heat a sauté pan over high heat. Add olive oil and pineapple slices; cook each side for about 1 minute to caramelize. Remove pineapple and return pan to heat. Add onions and peppers and sauté 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Heat large sauté pan or skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon butter and 4 slices of bread. Top each with 1 slice Pepper Jack, 2 ounces ham, 1 pineapple ring, 1/4 of the peppers and onions, and another slice of Pepper Jack, in that order. Place tops on sandwiches. Spread tops with about 1/2 tablespoon butter and grill until sandwiches are golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted, turning once during grilling and adding additional butter to pan, if necessary.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 fresh or canned sliced pineapple rings
- 1 yellow or Spanish onion, sliced about 1/8" thick
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced about 1/8" thick
- 6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature, divided
- 4 slices King’s Hawaiian Sweet Bread, split
- 8 slices Wisconsin Pepper Jack cheese
- 8 ounces smoked ham, sliced