Preheat oven to 375°F.
Trim beet stems, leaving about 1 inch of stem attached. Wash beets in cold water. Place in baking dish; drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add water to dish to depth of 1/4 inch. Cover and place in oven and roast for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until beets are easily pierced with knife or fork. Peel. (The beets will peel easily while still hot or warm.) Cool and slice thinly.
Fry bacon, if using, in skillet until crispy and brown.
Whisk together mustard, honey, balsamic vinegar, and grape seed oil.
Heat skillet or sauté pan over medium heat and spread one side of pumpernickel slices with butter; place 4 slices in pan, butter-side down. Top each with 1/8 of the Feta, 1/4 of the beet slices, some arugula, 1/4 of the toasted pepitas, 2 bacon slices (or 1 ham slice), 1/4 of the onion slices, another 1/8 of the Feta, and a slice of the remaining pumpernickel, butter-side up. Grill on both sides, turning once, to brown bread. Serve with the honey-balsamic dressing on the side or drizzled over the top.
- 1 bunch (5-6) red or Chioggia beets
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 8 slices bacon or 4 slices smoked ham
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1-3 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 8 slices pumpernickel bread
- Butter to coat bread
- 1 cup (6-8 ounces) Wisconsin Feta cheese, crumbled
- 8 ounces arugula
- 4 tablespoons pepitas (pumpkin seeds), toasted
- 1 red onion, sliced about 1/8" thick