For pickles: Heat oil in small, deep pot or skillet to 375°F. Meanwhile, dry pickle slices very well with paper towels. In small bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, garlic powder and black pepper. Pour buttermilk into another small bowl. When the oil has reached 375°F, bread pickles by dipping them in the buttermilk, then cornmeal mixture, coating well. Fry 4 slices at a time, removing from oil when golden brown and crispy, about 90 seconds. Drain pickle slices on paper towel.
For pimento cheese: Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl and mix well.
For sandwich: Melt butter over medium heat in skillet large enough to fit all bread slices. Toast bread on one side, flip and divide pimento cheese mixture over 2 slices. Cover with remaining 2 bread slices. Flip and grill until both sides of sandich are golden brown. Serve stacked high with fried pickles.
- 1 1/2 cups neutral oil for frying, such as canola
- 12 dill pickle slices
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
For pimento cheese:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons jarred pimentos
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon white onion, finely grated
- Dash of cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) Aged Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 thick slices sourdough bread