Preheat oven to 250°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with baking spray. In small saucepan over medium heat, combine brown ale and brown sugar. Stir until sugar has dissolved. Bring liquid to steady boil, stirring constantly (it will be foamy) for 1 minute. Remove from heat and add about 1 tablespoon of butter, stirring until combined. Add pecans and stir until all pecans are coated. Pour pecans onto prepared baking sheet and spread evenly over sheet. Bake 15 minutes, stir and bake an additional 15 minutes. Cool to room temperature and break apart.
Heat griddle over medium-low heat. Butter 1 side of cake slices with remaining butter. Top unbuttered sides with 1 Wisconsin Gouda slice each. Place 4 cake slices buttered-side-down on griddle and grill until browned and cheese is soft and melted. Place half the brown ale candied pecans and chocolate pieces over 2 of the slices, then top with the other 2 slices, browned-side-up. Remove to warm plate. Repeat procedure with remaining 4 cake slices, pecans, and chocolate pieces.
- Baking spray
- 1 tablespoon brown ale
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 3-4 tablespoons (about 1 3/4 ounces) unsalted butter, softened, divided
- 1/4 cup pecan pieces
- 8 1/2-inch-thick frozen pound cake slices, thawed to room temperature
- 8 slices Wisconsin Gouda cheese, at room temperature and cut to fit cake slices
- 4 squares (about 1 1/2 ounces) 70% cocoa bar (smooth dark chocolate), roughly chopped