Mix sausage, garlic, sage, red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper until combined. Heat olive oil in large skillet. Add sausage mixture and toss to break up into small pieces. Cook sausage about 10 minutes, until no longer pink. Remove from skillet with slotted spoon to a plate, leaving grease in skillet. Set sausage aside.
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in skillet with bacon grease (you should have about 2 tablespoons total fat). Whisk in flour to create a paste. Add milk slowly, whisking constantly until mixture thickens. Add additional milk, if necessary, to reach desired thickness of a thick gravy. Stir reserved sausage into gravy. Keep warm. Butter both sides of each bread slice of with remaining butter. Place in a clean, hot skillet; arrange 2 slices of havarti over each bread slice. Cover skillet and cook until the cheese melts, about 5 minutes. Spoon desired amount of sausage gravy over 1 bread slice. Do not overload so gravy drips unto skillet bottom. Place remaining bread slice over, cheese-side down, to form sandwich. Cover and continue to cook sandwich about 3 minutes; flip and cook about 3 additional minutes. When cheese is melted, remove sandwich from heat and dust with parmesan and additional sage. Serve with fried egg and hot sauce, if desired.
Refrigerate any remaining gravy for additional sandwiches.
- 1/2 pound freshly ground pork sausage
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 5–6 fresh sage leaves, plus additional for garnish, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1– 1 1/2 cups reduced fat milk (amount will vary depending on desired thickness of gravy)
- 2 thick slides white bread
- 4 slices (1-ounce each) Wisconsin Havarti cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated Wisconsin Parmesan cheese
- Fried egg, optional
- Hot sauce, optional