Preheat oven to 400°F.
Make the ratatouille: In large bowl, combine zucchini, eggplant, onion and cherry tomatoes with 1/4 cup olive oil, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, tomato paste, herb seasoning and salt and pepper to taste. Use your hands to mix everything together until very well combined. Line sheet pan with nonstick foil or parchment paper. Spread vegetables evenly on pan. Roast about 40 minutes, stirring once halfway through baking. Transfer to bowl and set aside. This mixture can be made in advance.
In small bowl, combine the basil, parsley, balsamic vinegar and remaining tablespoon olive oil. Toss ratatouille with cream cheese. Butter each bread slice on both sides. In large skillet, lightly brown each slice on one side. Flip slices and spoon some of the ratatouille-cream cheese mixture on 4 of bread slices. Spread a couple teaspoons of fresh herb mixture on other 4 slices.
Top each ratatouille-covered slice with 1/3 cup alpine-style cheese and cover with herbed bread. Press lightly and grill both sides until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown.
- 2 cups each zucchini, eggplant, onion, diced
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 sun-dried tomatoes, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian herb seasoning
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 6 ounces Wisconsin Cream Cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 8 slices rustic Italian bread
- 1 1/3 cup (about 5 1/2 ounces) Wisconsin Alpine-style cheese, grated