In nonreactive bowl, combine cherry halves, sliced red onion, and dried cherries.
In medium nonreactive saucepan, combine red wine vinegar, sugar, salt, black pepper, and bay leaf. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes. Pour hot vinegar mixture over cherries and onions; set aside.
Heat cast iron skillet over medium heat. Spread butter on 1 side of the bread slices and place 4 slices, buttered-side-down, in preheated skillet. Top each slice in skillet with 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard, 2 Edam slices, 1/4 of a sliced pastrami duck breast, a spoonful of pickled cherries and 2 slices of Baby Swiss Cheese, in that order. Top with remaining bread slices, buttered-side-up.
Grill sandwiches until bread is golden and cheese is melted, turning once during grilling.
- 8 ounces (1/2 cup) sweet red cherries, pitted and halved
- 1 small red onion, sliced about 1/8-inch thick
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries
- 2 cups red wine vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, softened
- 8 slices soft pumpernickel bread
- 1/4 cup whole grain country-style mustard plus more served on side, if desired
- 8 slices Wisconsin Edam cheese
- 1 pound pastrami-cured duck breast, store-bought or homemade, thinly sliced
- 8 slices Wisconsin Baby Swiss cheese