Peel and thinly shred sweet potato using largest holes of box grater; add shallot and stir. Pour oil to depth of 2 inches into heavy-bottomed pan skillet over medium heat. When hot, begin to add small handful of sweet potato mixture at a time. Fry in batches until crispy and golden, about 2 minutes. Transfer to paper towel-lined bowl; sprinkle with parsley, salt, cayenne, smoked paprika and garlic powder.
Combine marmalade, mustards and thyme in small bowl; spread mixture on 1 side of bread slices. Top each of 2 of the slices with 1/4 cup swiss cheese, 2 tablespoons cheddar cheese and half (2 ounces) of the ham. Divide jalapeño pepper and sweet potato mixture over ham. Place remaining ham over sweet potato mixture; sprinkle with remaining cheeses and close with remaining 2 bread slices, marmalade-side down, to form sandwich.
Place baking pan in cold oven; heat oven to warm. Whisk egg and milk in small bowl. Generously brush sandwich tops with egg mixture; sprinkle each with 1/4 of the coconut, lightly pressing to adhere. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in heavy skillet over medium-low heat. Carefully add 1 sandwich, coconut-side down, and grill for about 3-5 minutes until bottom is browned. Brush top with some of remaining egg mixture and sprinkle with half of remaining coconut. Flip sandwich and cook for 3-5 minutes or until bottom side is browned. Transfer to baking pan in oven; keep warm while repeating procedure for second sandwich.
- 8 ounces sweet potato
- 2 ounces shallot, thinly sliced
- Vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves, minced
- 4 slices hearty white bread
- 1 cup (4 ounces) Wisconsin Swiss cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) Wisconsin Sharp Cheddar
- 4 ounces sliced ham
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 6 tablespoons shredded sweetened coconut
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter