For the Waffle Biscuits: Set waffle maker to lightest setting and heat. Remove 4 biscuit rounds from tube; place on lightly greased baking sheet. Using your palm, flatten rounds into 5- to 6-inch “pancakes” approximately 1/8-inch thick.
Place 2 smoked cheddar slices on each of two flattened biscuit “pancakes”; cover with the 2 remaining “pancakes” and pinch sides together to contain cheese, creating 2 cheese-stuffed pancakes.
Place pancakes in waffle maker. Do not close waffle maker entirely; use a fork to prop open waffle maker to prevent top from closing completely, allowing dough to rise. Cook approximately 2-4 minutes on each side, manually flipping the waffle once. Remove waffle biscuits when approximately 3/4 of the way cooked. Set aside.
To Complete the Sandwich: Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat; add garlic. Cook about 1 minute being careful not to scorch. Add onions and Fresno pepper; increase heat to high. Lightly brown onions and peppers, cooking approximately 5-6 minutes. Remove onions and peppers from skillet; set aside. Return skillet to medium heat; add diced chorizo. Cook until lightly browned. Set aside.
Mix black pepper, salt, mustard powder, white pepper, cumin, thyme, smoked paprika and chili powder to create blackening seasoning. Dip shrimp in 2 tablespoons melted butter; dredge in blackening seasoning to coat. Set aside.
In skillet over high heat, sear shrimp in 2 tablespoons melted butter. When shrimp are cooked remove from heat. Toss shrimp with lime juice and zest. Set aside.
Layer one stuffed waffle with cheese curds, onions, peppers, shrimp (reserving 3 for garnish) and chorizo. Using a tablespoon, ladle a bit of remaining cooked shrimp juice and seasoning liquid over top. Repeat this sequence in reverse order, then place second stuffed waffle over all to complete sandwich. Brush top with remaining melted butter.
Carefully return sandwich to skillet; cook over low heat, covered, approximately 2 minutes on each side or until cheese is melted. Garnish with reserved shrimp, a thin slice of lime, and chives.
For Waffle Biscuits:
- 1 tube ready-to-bake biscuits
- 4 slices (about 1 ounce each) Wisconsin smoked Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red Fresno pepper, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup diced Spanish chorizo, diced
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon Spanish-style smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon extra-hot chili powder
- 10-12 medium-sized shrimp, deveined and peeled
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and divided
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- Pinch of lime zest
- 1 1/3 cups chopped Wisconsin Cheese Curds, chopped
- Chives, roughly chopped, for garnish