Heat medium-sized skillet on stovetop; add olive oil and fry garlic over medium-high heat until just fragrant, about 30-60 seconds. Remove from heat; place garlic in small bowl. Set skillet aside.
Add ricotta cheese, spinach, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and Italian herbs to reserved garlic; mix until well combined. Butter 1 side of each bread slice. Divide ricotta mixture in half; spread over unbuttered sides of 2 bread slices. Divide mozzarella cheese in half; sprinkle over ricotta mixture. Top with remaining bread slices, buttered-side-up.
Return skillet to stove over medium heat; place sandwiches in hot pan. Cook, turning once, until cheese has melted and both sides are golden brown, about 3-4 minutes per side. Sprinkle with additional Italian herbs and serve with warm pasta sauce, if using.
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/3 cup (scant 3 ounces) Wisconsin Ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 2 tablespoons Wisconsin Parmesan cheese, grated
- Sea salt and cracked pepper, to taste
- Dried Italian mixed herbs, to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 thick slices sourdough bread
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) Wisconsin Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup of your favorite pasta sauce, optional