Thoroughly combine cream cheese, grated ginger and raw honey in a lidded container, cover and refrigerate 2 hours or more. Soften before spreading.
In 12-inch skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter and add mustard seeds, carrots and water. Bring to boil and reduce heat to simmer until the thickest carrots are soft, adding 2 tablespoons water if needed, approximately 18-20 minutes. Remove from heat and toss with vinegar and dill. Salt to taste. Set aside to cool.
Slice onion in half and cut into 1/4-inch half moons. Heat oil in cast iron skillet over medium heat and add onions. Stir occasionally until tender and golden with some browning, about 7-9 minutes. Set aside.
Place arugula in microwave-safe bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Microwave on high 12-15 seconds or until just wilted. Allow to cool, covered. Roughly chop.
To prepare sandwich:
Spread 1 side of 1 bread slice with 1 tablespoon butter. Place buttered-side-down on cold griddle. Sprinkle bread with applewood-smoked cheddar. Arrange 2 layers of carrots over cheddar. Lightly sprinkle 1-2 teaspoons of havarti over carrots; cover with layer of arugula. Arrange remaining havarti over. Add thin layer of reserved sautéed onions. On second slice of bread, spread generous amount of softened ginger-honey cream cheese, about 2 tablespoons. Place on top of sandwich, cream-cheese-down. Spread top with remaining butter. Grill over medium heat 6-8 minutes. Carefully flip and continue grilling until golden, 3-4 minutes. Cool slightly before cutting in half.
- 6 ounces Cream Cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 1/2 tablespoons raw unfiltered honey
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, divided
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and quartered lengthwise
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- Sea salt
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Handful of arugula
- 2 thick slices hearty buttermilk whole-wheat bread
- 1/3 cup (about 1 1/2 ounces) Wisconsin applewood-smoked Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/8 cup (1/2 ounce) Wisconsin Havarti cheese, grated