Prepare and bake cornbread as directed on package, adding diced jalapeño to batter and spreading in 8-inch square baking pan. Cool before cutting.
Sauté onion in 1 1/2-2 tablespoons butter until soft and beginning to caramelize (you can increase the amount of onion, if you prefer). Melt remaining butter in microwave with the chives. Cut cornbread into 4, 4-inch squares and then cut through each to make 8 sandwich slices. Heat a heavy skillet or grill. Brush the cornbread sides that are to be grilled with the chive butter. Place 4 of the slices in skillet, buttered-side-down, and layer with cheese, onion, and more cheese. Top with remaining cornbread slices, buttered-side-up. Grill until bottom is golden. Carefully turn over and grill until heated through and cheese is melted.
- 1 box (8- to 9-ounce) cornbread mix to be baked in 8-inch square pan
- 1 tablespoon fresh jalapeño chile (or more if you like it hot), seeds removed and diced
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 large red onion, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon fresh or frozen chives, chopped
- 2 cups Wisconsin Gouda cheese, grated