For Braised Beef: In large Dutch oven, heat olive oil. Season beef with salt and pepper. Add beef to skillet and cook over moderate heat 10-12 minutes, turning once, until browned and crusty. Set beef aside, leaving brown bits in skillet. Add onion, carrots, celery, and garlic to skillet and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until very soft and lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Add wine and thyme sprigs and bring to boil over high heat. Return beef to skillet. Preheat oven to 350°F. Add beef or chicken stock and bring to a boil. Cover and cook in the lower third of the oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until the meat is tender.
For the Chimichurri: Chop parsley, cilantro, oregano, and garlic in food processor. Place in a small bowl. Stir in olive oil, vinegar, sea salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
For Sandwich Preparation: Butter bread slices (1 side only). Place bread slices buttered-side- down in nonstick skillet. Brown/toast bread slices over medium-low heat. When bread slices are golden brown, layer Provolone, beef, and chimichurri sauce on 2 of the slices. Add dash of oregano and crushed red pepper flakes. Close sandwich by topping with remaining 2 bread slices. Butter added bread slices. Grill sandwich a couple more minutes. Flip, gently press and grill another minute until cheese is melted. Serve with more chimichurri sauce.
Use remaining beef for more sandwiches, as an entrée or in other recipes.
- Braised beef (ingredients below)
- Chimichurri sauce (ingredients below)
- 4 slices multigrain bread
- 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) butter
- 8 slices Wisconsin Provolone cheese
- Dash of dried oregano
- Dash of crushed red pepper flakes
For the Braised Beef:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 pounds stew beef OR a mixture of stew beef and short ribs or other fatty beef
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2-3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 750-milliliter bottle dry red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 3 cups chicken or beef stock
For the Chimichurri Sauce:
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves (or 2 teaspoons dried oregano)
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup good quality olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes