Butter each slice of bread on 1 side. Set aside. Mix cumin, 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder, salt, and pepper in bowl that can accommodate shrimp. Set aside. In small bowl, mix raspberry jam and remaining 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder. Set aside.
Heat vegetable oil in large, heavy skillet and sauté poblano and onion strips over high heat until slightly charred and softened. Remove vegetables from skillet. Lower heat to medium. Toss shrimp in cumin-chipotle powder mixture and add to skillet, stirring for about 2 minutes or until cooked through (opaque). Remove shrimp to cutting board and cool slightly. Butterfly shrimp, cutting through thickness. Wipe skillet with paper towel.
Reduce heat to medium low and place 4 slices bread, buttered-side-down, in skillet (may be done in batches). Grill until golden brown. Remove half of the slices and flip remaining slices in skillet over. Spread thin layer of jam mixture on tops of bread in skillet. Top with 1 cheese slice each. Place shrimp in single layer over cheese. Scatter chile and onion strips over in a single layer. Spread the mashed avocado on bread removed from skillet. Place sandwiches avocado-side-down in skillet. Grill until bottom is browned. Flip and grill until golden brown on second side. Repeat steps, using all ingredients.
- 4-5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 8 slices pumpernickel bread
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder, or more to taste, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 tablespoons seedless raspberry jam
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large poblano chile, roasted, peeled, seeded, and cut in 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 1 red onion, cut in 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 12 ounces medium uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 1/4-inch-thick slices Wisconsin Chipotle Jack cheese or Pepper Jack cheese, cut to fit bread
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, diced and mashed with 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice and salt to taste